Are you curious how the world of telehealth works? Are you asking yourself the following questions:
“How can this possibly work if I am not in the office?”
“Will I be able to connect with my therapist?”
“How can I trust that no one is hearing our conversation?”
“Can I work on my specific goals and have my needs met if I am not in the office with my therapist?”
Telehealth, a powerful tool that dramatically improves the accessibility and convenience of mental health care in our modern world, offers a diverse range of benefits.
Advantages of telehealth include:
- Flexible schedule: With telehealth you can have secure, real-time two-way communication with your therapist anytime and anywhere. You can have sessions during times that best fit your schedule and may otherwise not be possible if you had to commute to and from a physical office.
- Convenience: You can receive services from your office, home, or even while traveling. With telehealth, you are no longer constrained by your physical location. You can easily connect with your therapist as long as you have an internet connection and a camera or a phone.
- No transportation time or costs: When you engage in therapy on your mobile device or computer, you can save money on gas, parking, and public transportation. Even better, you don’t waste time commuting or risk running into a traffic jam that makes you late for your appointment, or worse, late getting back to work.
- No need to take time off of work: Speaking of work, video visits largely remove the need to take time off. You can simply schedule your visit during a break, or before or after work. You can be anywhere that offers sufficient privacy. This makes it a perfect solution for busy executives or those who lead a jet-setting lifestyle.
- Eliminate child or elder care issues: Many of us have the responsibility of caring for children or older adults. Finding alternative care so that you can see a therapist can be difficult and expensive. Bringing them along can be stressful or impractical. Fortunately, telemedicine solves this challenge by allowing you to see your therapist while upholding your family responsibilities.
- Better Mental Health: When you are able to see your therapist as often as you need to, without the challenges of getting into the office, you can practice better management of your mental health.
Given the extensive list of benefits of combining technology and mental health treatment, it is not surprising that people are seeking out therapists that offer the convenience and cost effectiveness of telehealth. It is poised to have a major positive impact on the entire healthcare system, and, most importantly, your life.